22 August 2008

I slept like a baby, in spite of the family of mosquitos inside my net all night. This morning Esther gave me two grass baskets that the women in the villages made. They smell like a sweet hay barn and they are beautiful.

 
Carolyn mentioned doing devotions together in the morning and asked if that was ok since she didn't really know where I was spiritually. Where am I spiritually? There's the question of the decade, or maybe even century; not that anyone else would ask it, or even care. Or as if it has any historical significance whatsoever, so I should probably just be content with decade. But who knows. If I had to sum up my "spiritual condition" or "place" in one word, I would like for it to be: open. But as I consider that, I realize that there are actually a great many religious ideas I am fairly well closed off to. And if I was perfectly honest, the repercussions of "christianity", in whatever form it was presented, on this small, overpopulated nation goes, are questionable. We have taught these expressive, beautiful, alive cultures the fine art of repression, condemnation, shame, and best of all prudishness. Their resilient spirit and ethnic beauty sparkles from underneath the pious and dowdy exterior, masked in proper western business suits and silly sunday dresses, and in the worship of this "civilized" god, they are still joyful and exuberant.
At any rate, I am doing devotions with Carolyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment